May 17, 2012

Last Night a DRAG QUEEN Saved My Life...



People often ask me, "Desiree, just what is
your obsession with Drag Queens?!"

It's not a very difficult question for me to answer, since there are just SO MANY things I adore about the Fabulous World of Drag!  For me, drag queens are like the glitzy, gorgeous & glam fairy godmothers of my most self-indulgent, over-the-rainbow dreams!  I mean, they represent just about everything that I love ~ lots of sparkle, over-the-top fashions, music, dancing, fierce performances, cult cinema, comedy, sickening make-up artistry, subversive culture, gender-bending... 
I mean, really - what's not to love?!

Me, invading Venus D Lite's personal space...

But my adoration for these decadent creatures is more than skin-deep. Unfortunately, due to the small-mindedness of many in our society, most of these queens have had to endure a lot of suffering and heartache on their road to the throne ~ but in the end, they have become some of the most wonderful, caring and strong individuals you will ever meet!  This deeper side of drag - combined with all the fun & fantasy - has proven itself to be a magic elixer for me in my life. By doing what they do, these Queens have helped pull me through some very dark & difficult times. They've shown me that, come what may in life, you must always be true to yourself, love yourself...and for heaven's sake, child, do it with some panache!

Thank you, thank you, thank you to all you fabulous girls for doing your thang...your talent, tucking and tears are never in vain. XOXO

LONG LIVE THE QUEENS!!!
There is no misconceiving the talent of Miss Conception...

Sharon Needles, latest winner of RuPaul's Drag Race
Gabriel Villarreal (aka Delta Work) poses with little ol' me!
The fabulous Kristie Champaigne of Velvet Lounge, Santa Ana
Delta Work (runner-up on RuPaul's Drag Race 3) at work.
The sickening Latrice Royale, runner-up on Drag Race 4



No comments:

Post a Comment